The SRUC Biomarkers Laboratory is a research support lab, part of the Animal & Veterinary Sciences Group. Our expertise supports the unique and diverse requirements of animal and veterinary research.
We focus on:
- Physiological, biochemical and metabolic measures relating to animal health, behaviour and welfare;
- Development and validation of species-specific techniques;
- Application to a wide range of species including sheep, cows, pigs, horses, goats, chickens and turkeys;
- Training and education: practical laboratory skills, protocol design and development, and project support for undergraduate, MSc and PhD students.
- ELISA (for example Glucocorticoids, IgG, hormones, neuropeptides);
- DNA/RNA extraction from a wide range of sample types including blood, tissue, rumen;
- Fluorescent microsphere Immunoassay (FMIA) using BioPlex machine (for example Cytokine Multiplex assay).
We specialise in developing novel multiplex panels;
- Kinetic Enzyme Assays;
- Image analysis.