Projects per year
My research focuses on the hydro-social system, specifically around public engagement with water environments, and novel ways of harnessing varied knowledges for water management. More broadly, this work feeds in to an understanding of public interactions between physical and social environments, including community resilience to climate and environmental change, rural development, knowledge co-production, and percpetions, framing and bias in science communication.
These research areas are connected by my primary interest in effective integration between social and environmental aspects of managing climate, water and energy systems, but have drawn lessons for wider environmental management.
Teaching is focused around environmental management (physical and social systems and, critically, their interconnectedness). Modules have been designed and delivered in sustainability, climate change, water management, environmental education and community particpation. I also have experience in supervising numerous undergarduate and post-graduate research dissertations in related fields.
- British Academy (2021-23). Tropical peatland climate resilience: transforming governance of climate risks for poverty reduction in Indonesia, Peru and the Congo Basin
- Defra & Natural England (2021). Uplandia: Systems modelling for evidence-informed peatland policy
- CXC (2020-21). Understanding the experiences of peatland restoration in Scotland
- Scottish Government Strategic Research Programme (2016-2021). Place-based policy and its implications for policy and service delivery
- Scottish Government Strategic Research Programme (2019-2021). Local assets, local decisions and community resilience
- Scottish Government (2019-2021). Attitudes towards land reform: Public priorities and focus for the future
- SEFARI SPARK (2018-20). Sustainable farming systems for People, Planet and Profits
- EU Connecteur COST Action (2015-18). Stakeholder analysis of perceived relevance of connectivity issues across the EU
- UoE GeoSciences Innovation Fund (2015). Dimensions of community-led micro-hydro schemes
- EU FP7 (2014-2017). ECO2: Sub-seabed CO2 Storage – Impact on Marine Ecosystems (public Perceptions Work Package)
- EU FP7 (2014-2017). R&Dialogue: Research and Civil Society Dialogue Towards a Low Carbon Society
- EU FP7 (2008-2014). ALFA: Adaptive Land Use for Flood Alleviation
- InCluESEV (2012). Sustainable energy futures and the negotiation of environmental and social justice: the case of micro-hydro power
PhD, University of Durham
2009 → 2013
Award Date: 31 Oct 2013
Master, University of Durham
2008 → 2009
Award Date: 30 Sep 2009
Master, University of Leeds
2004 → 2005
Award Date: 30 Sep 2005
Bachelor, Northumbria University
2001 → 2004
Award Date: 31 Jul 2004
Review Editor Frontiers in Water
1 Sep 2020 → 1 Jan 2025
- G Geography (General)
- GE Environmental Sciences
- H Social Sciences (General)
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
5/02/20 → 30/11/20
Rust, N., Lunder, O. E., Iversen, S., Vella, S., Oughton, E. A., Breland, T. A., Glass, J. H., Maynard, C. M., McMorran, R. & Reed, M. S., 14 Jan 2022, (First published) In: Land. 11, 1, 131.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile16 Downloads (Pure)
Warren, R., Millar, C., Pollok, M., Murray, L., Glass, J., McMorran, R., Craigie, M. & Maynard, C., 5 Mar 2021, The Scottish Government. 90 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Commissioned report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile95 Downloads (Pure)
Glass, J., Atterton, J., Maynard, CM., Craigie, MC., Jones, SJ., Currie, M., Pinker, A. & McKee, A. J., Nov 2021, 83 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Research report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile72 Downloads (Pure)
Understanding the response to Covid-19 - Exploring options for a resilient social and economic recovery in Scotland’s rural and island communitiesCurrie, M., McMorran, R., Hopkins, J., McKee, A. J., Glass, J., Wilson, R., Meador, JE., Noble, C., Craigie, MC., Piras, S., Bruce, F., Williams, AW., Pinker, A., Jones, SJ., Maynard, CM. & Atterton, J., 24 Mar 2021, 32 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Research report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile226 Downloads (Pure)
Stewart, GB., Glendell, M., McMorran, R., Troldborg, M., Gagkas, Z., Ovando, P., Roberts, M., Maynard, CM., Williams, AW., Clay, G. & Reed, MSR., 7 May 2021, 68 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Research report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile17 Downloads (Pure)
- 1 Oral presentation
1 Jul 2021
Activity: Talk, evidence or presentation types › Oral presentation