Projects per year
I'm a livestock systems scientist, with a focus on extensive livestock production, particularly in hill and mountain areas.
My current interests include:
- use of technology on extensive farms (EID & Precision Livestock Farming)
- assessment of farm labour and its role on farm viability
- uptake and knowledge exchange with farming industry
- sustainable intensification in the hills, land abandonment and hill farming economic viability.
- Editor to animal - the International Journal of Animal Biosciences, section Precision Livestock Farming (2019 - )
- Vice-President of the Precision Livestock Farming Scientific Commission, EAAP (2020 - )
- Frequent reviewer in Livestock Science, Small Ruminant Research, Animal and Land Use Policy
- Guest editor to Frontiers in Animal Science, Research topic: Understanding Animals' Phenotype through Automatic Behavior Assessment (2021)
- PhD student (2020-2024) Adopting Precision Livestock Farming Technologies to Improve Small Ruminant Management and Welfare in Grazing Systems. Joint with University of Glasgow and Moredun Research Institute.
- PhD student (2019-2022) A Holistic Approach to Internal Parasite Control on Hill and Upland Sheep Farms. Joint with Moredun Research Institute and University of Edinburgh
- PhD student (2015-2020) Investigation of genetic and non-genetic factors influencing ewe reproductive performance in a Scottish hill flock. Joint with University of Edinburgh
- PhD student (2013-2019). Precision Livestock Farming: potential application for sheep systems in harsh environments. Joint with University of Edinburgh
- 2020 - 2024. EU H2020 Innovative Action. TechCare - Integrating innovative TECHnologies along the value Chain to improve small ruminant welfARE management. Morgan-Davies (Coordinator). £4.9 million
- 2021 - 2023. EU H2020 Thematic Network. Sm@RT - Sm@ll Ruminant Technologies. Morgan-Davies (Coordinator). £1.7 million
- 2020 - 2022. InnovateUK. Smart Sheep. Kenyon, Morgan-Davies (co-I). £245K.
- 2020 - 2023. EC H2020 Thematic Network. EuroSheep. Morgan-Davies (PI/WP leader). £1.5 million.
- 2017- 2021: BBSRC GFS: ResULTS - Livestock's role in food system resilience in remote, upland regions. McCracken, Barnes, Morgan-Davies, Holland (Project member)
Past projects (selected):
- 2017 - 2020: ERANet SusAn: SusSheP (Sustainable Sheep Production) Morgan-Davies (WP leader) £800K (£90K SRUC)
- 2017- 2020: BBSRC GFS: Sustainable economic and ecological grazing systems - learning from innovative practitioners. Watson, McVittie, Cloy, Morgan-Davies (Project member)
- 2017 - 2020: ERANet SusAn: AnimalFuture. McCraken, Barnes, Morgan-Davies, Holland (Project member)
- 2016 - 2019: EU H2020 Thematic Network, SheepNet. Dwyer, Morgan-Davies (project member). £1.5 million
- 2016 -2017: REG Development Fund (SRUC) Developing partnership for future networks on the use of EID associated technologies in marginal sheep farming systems. PI. £25K
PhD, University of Edinburgh
2006 → 2013
Award Date: 30 Jun 2014
1990 → 1995
Award Date: 17 Nov 1995
Master, Cranfield University
1994 → 1995
Award Date: 1 Sep 1995
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
RESAS 22-27: SRUC-b2-4 Data Driven Innovations For Improved Sustainability Of Ruminant Productions Systems
1/04/22 → 31/03/27
TechCare_Integrating innovative TECHnologies along the value Chain to improve small ruminant welfARE management
1/09/20 → 1/04/24
Morgan-Davies, C., McLaren, A. & Wishart, H.
1/08/20 → 31/01/22
McLaren, A., Depuille, L., Katzman, N., Bar-Shamai, A., Halachmi, I., Grova, L., Keady, T., McClearn, B., Giovanetti, V., Piirsalu, P., Nagi, O., Gautier, J-M., Kenyon, F. & Morgan-Davies, C., 1 Sep 2022, Book of Abstracts of the 73rd Annual Meeting of the European Federation of Animal Science. Wageningen: Wageningen Academic Publishers, Vol. 28. p. 397 1 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contribution
Walker, A., Jonsson, N., Waterhouse, TW., McDougall, H., Kenyon, F., McLaren, A. & Morgan-Davies, C., Aug 2022.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Downloads (Pure)
Comparison of farm-level greenhouse gas emissions in transhumance and semi-intensive sheep production systems in continental rangelandsOcak Yetisgin, S., Morgan-Davies, C. & Onder, H., 8 Aug 2022, (First published) In: Animal. 16, 8, 11 p., 100602.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile8 Downloads (Pure)
Llonch, P., Neethirajan, S. & Morgan-Davies, C., 4 Nov 2022, (First published) In: Frontiers in Animal Science . 3
Research output: Contribution to journal › EditorialOpen AccessFile11 Downloads (Pure)
Morgan-Davies, C., Boman, I. A., Creighton, P. & McLaren, A., 15 Sep 2022.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Abstract
Press / Media
1 Media contribution
1 Media contribution
1 Media contribution