Projects per year
My research interests focus in the area of ruminant (beef and sheep) systems. More specifically:
• Measurement of GHG emissions from beef and sheep systems (housed and grazing).
• Development and validation of proxy measures of GHGs from ruminants.
• Mitigation strategies for GHG emissions from ruminant production.
• Development of technologies for continuous, automated and real-time monitoring of animals on-farm, including monitoring of GHG emissions.
• Development of animal mounted sensors (new sensors and novel uses for sensors on the market),
• Prediction of slaughter characteristics in live animals to increase production efficiency/profitability.
• Development of improved nutrition models for use in the beef industry to improve efficiency.
- 2021-2021 DEFRA. Methane-inhibiting livestock feed supplements: review of net impacts, barriers to success and consumer acceptance (£85k) CO-I.
- 2019-2020 SEFARI Fellowship with NFU Scotland: Producing materials summarising the current understanding of Scottish agriculture and GHG emissions aimed at NFU Scotland members (£13,800) PI.
- 2019-2020 Agolin SA Methane emissions and feed efficiency of finishing beef steers offered diets containing ‘Agolin Ruminant’ (£30,000) PI.
- 2018-2023 AHDB Feed into Beef: Re-defining nutrition standards for improving beef production efficiency (£282,500) Co-I with Richard Dewhurst and Jenna Bowen
- 2019-2023 InnovateUK. OPTI-BEEF: Precision agricultural solution to monitor lifetime productivity and product quality (£1.3M). Researcher
- 2018-2022 EU Horizon 2020. (INFRAIA-2017-01 call, 2018-2022). SMARTCOW: An integrated infrastructure for increased research capability and innovation in the European cattle sector. (£365k) Researcher
- 2017-2019 SARIC NERC. Novel animal-mounted sensor technology to improve efficiency and sustainability. (252k) Researcher
- 2014-2018 Innovate UK. Beef Monitor. (£1.3M) Researcher.
PhD student (2020-present) Improving the efficiency of beef production through the use of precision farming technologies and machine learning techniques. Joint with University of Edinburgh
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
18/10/22 → 17/10/27
1/04/22 → 31/03/27
1/04/22 → 31/03/27
RESAS 22-27: Mri-b2-2 Monitoring Veterinary Medicine Usage To Improve Animal Performance And Efficiency
1/04/22 → 31/03/27
Miller, G. A., Auffret, MD., Roehe, R., Nisbet, H. & Martinez Alvaro, MM., 13 Apr 2023, (First published) In: Frontiers in Microbiology. 14, 1102400.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile13 Downloads (Pure)
Enteric Methane Emissions from Dairy–Beef Steers Supplemented with the Essential Oil Blend Agolin RuminantMiller, G. A., Bowen, J. M., Dewhurst, RJ., Zweifel, B., Spengler, K. & Duthie, C-A., 31 May 2023, In: Animals. 13, 11, 1826.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Short communication › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile14 Downloads (Pure)
Existing and near-to-market methane reducing feed additives and technologies: Evidence of Efficacy, Regulatory Pathways to Market and Mechanisms to Incentivise AdoptionMiller, G. A., Eory, V., Duthie, C-A. & Newbold, JR., 2023, 105 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Commissioned reportOpen AccessFile733 Downloads (Pure)
Hayward, A. D., McNeilly, T. N., Duthie, C-A. & Miller, G. A., 17 Mar 2023, 6 ed. 1 p. (Veterinary Record)
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Research briefOpen Access
Barnes, AP., Miller, G. A., Bowen, J. M., Waxenberg, KW., Newbold, JR., Duthie, C-A., Rees, RM., Eory, V., Roehe, R., Houdijk, JGM. & Farquhar, JA., 15 Feb 2023, The Scottish Government. 96 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Commissioned report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile103 Downloads (Pure)