Projects per year
My current research interests are around precision livestock farming (PLF), feed efficiency and methane mitigation strategies, this includes:
- Investigating the use of multi-sensor systems to remotely assess the performance and efficiency of beef animals.
- Physiological monitoring of youngstock as a method of early detection of disease.
- Modernisation of guidelines for beef cattle feeding systems.
- Assessment of electronic identification (EID) in bovine systems.
- The use of novel biomarkers (N15) as a proxy for the performance of cattle and sheep.
- Investigating novel diet additives as methane mitigation strategies and their effects of feed efficiency.
- Applications of near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) in forage analysis.
I am currently involved in teaching in the following areas:
- Information Technology: Applications Software 1
- Energy losses and efficiency in agroecosystems (livestock systems)
Research Output per year
Evaluation of microbial communities associated with the liquid and solid phases of the rumen of cattle offered a diet of perennial ryegrass or white cloverBowen, JM., McCabe, MS., Lister, SJ., Cormican, P. & Dewhurst, RJ., 8 Oct 2018, In : Frontiers in Microbiology. 9, 2389.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Research › peer-review