Projects per year
My current research interests are around precision livestock farming (PLF), feed efficiency and methane mitigation strategies, this includes:
- Investigating the use of multi-sensor systems to remotely assess the performance and efficiency of beef animals.
- Physiological monitoring of youngstock as a method of early detection of disease.
- Modernisation of guidelines for beef cattle feeding systems.
- Assessment of electronic identification (EID) in bovine systems (transportation and traceability).
- The use of novel biomarkers (N15) as a proxy for the performance of cattle and sheep.
- Investigating novel diet additives as methane mitigation strategies and their effects of feed efficiency.
- Applications of near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) in forage analysis.
I am currently involved in teaching in the following areas:
- Information Technology: Applications Software 1
- Energy losses and efficiency in agroecosystems (livestock systems)
1/03/18 → 31/03/23
Wall, E., Smith, S., Nicoll, L., Parker, J., Robertson, D., Davidson, R., Donbavand, J., Anderson, C., Roehe, R., Harrison, B., Purcell, L., Lawrence, A., Duthie, C., Gunn, G., Pritchard, T., Jones, S., Bagnall, A., Vosough Ahmadi, B., Archibald, I., Rees, B., Eory, V., Glenk, K., Edwards, T., Buckingham, S., March, M., Broadbent, C., Cloy, J., Hargreaves, P., Wishart, H., Griffiths, B., Fox, N., Sparks, N., Shrestha, S., Banos, G., Henry, M., Watson, C., Dickinson, J., Topp, K., Burnett, F., Kyle, J., Denholm, S., Dewhurst, R., Lawson, D., McCubbin, I., Dwyer, C., Holland, J., Wemelsfelder, F., McCracken, D., Barratt, A., Havis, N., Stanisz-Migal, M., Miller, G., Bowen, J., Hutchings, M., Creissen, H., D'Eath, R., Baddeley, J., Houdijk, J., Vigors, B., Coffey, M., Stephen, K., Morgan-Davies, C., Walker, R., Turner, S., Haskell, M., Barnes, A., Athanasiadou, S., Cole, L., Sandilands, V., McLaren, A., MacLeod, M., Smith, L. & Jack, M.
1/04/19 → 31/03/20
Research Output per year
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contribution
Effects of dietary nitrate and lipid supplementation on the rumen microbiota associated with methane productionBowen, J. M., Cormican, P., Lister, S. J., McCabe, M. S., Roehe, R. & Dewhurst, RJ., 9 Apr 2018.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper
Evaluation of microbial communities associated with the liquid and solid phases of the rumen of cattle offered a diet of perennial ryegrass or white cloverBowen, JM., McCabe, MS., Lister, SJ., Cormican, P. & Dewhurst, RJ., 8 Oct 2018, In : Frontiers in Microbiology. 9, 2389.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article