Projects per year
I am a Research Associate interested in understanding the rural economy further, undertaking research on a variety of topics including farmer intentions, rural businesses and economic infrastructure in rural areas.
My role includes:
- Analysis and interpretation of statistical data from large scale surveys using software packages including Stata and Microsoft Excel;
- Drafting briefings and academic papers on the results of research; and
- Collaborating with and presentating the findings of research to RESAS, Scottish Government and other stakeholders.
I teach modules to students studying on the Environmental Management and Rural Business Management courses. I also have experience supervising honours projects for Rural Business Management students.
Case Officer – Energy Consents Unit. Scottish Government, Glasgow. 2015 – 2019
Agricultural Officer – Rural Payments and Inspections Division. Scottish Government, Lerwick. 2012 – 2015
- 2022-2027, RESAS, Scottish Government, SRUC - E1 - 1 'Novel insights on Scotland's rural and islands economies (NISRIE)
- 2022-2029, RESAS, Scottish Government, SRUC - B3 - 1 'Ensuring positive behavioural change for farmers towards best practice for clean growth: economic and behavioural invistigations.'
- 2021-2022, RESAS, Scottish Government 'RESAS RD2.4.1 - 2021/22'
- 2021-2022, RESAS, Scottish Government 'RESAS RD2.4.2 - 2021/22'
- 2019-20, RESAS, Scottish Government 'Productivity of Scottish Agriculture'
- 2017-2020, Scottish Enterprise 'Impact of changes in the CAP regime on rural (non-agricultural) businesses
- 2020-2021, RESAS, Scottish Government 'RESAS RD2.4.1 - 2020/21 - Resilience of rural economies to key external drivers'
- 2020-2021, RESAS, Scottish Government 'RESAS RD2.4.2 - 2020/21 - How rural economies can adapt to key external drivers'
- 2019-2020, Scottish Government 'Research to assess the socioeconomic and biodiversity impacts of driven grouse moors and to understand the rights of gamekeepers.'
- 2021-2022, Plunkett Foundation 'Growing the Community Business Network UK-wide Understanding the 'cold spot' areas where Plunkett Foundation supports fewer community businesses.'
Master, University of Strathclyde
Award Date: 8 Nov 2018
Bachelor, Scottish Agricultural College & University of Edinburgh
Award Date: 1 Jul 2011
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
RESAS 22-27: SRUC-b3-1 Ensuring Positive Behavioural Change For Farmers Towards Best Practice For Clean Growth: Economic And Behavioural Investigations.
1/04/22 → 31/03/27
RESAS 22-27: SRUC-c3-2 Modelling The Socio-economic, Greenhouse Gas And Natural Capital Impacts Of Land Use Policy And Opportunities?. *joint With SRUC-d5-3
McVittie, A., Thomson, S., Shrestha, S., Botero Degiovanni, H., MacLeod, M., Hamilton, A., Bell, J., Rees, B., Eory, V., Buckingham, S., Shrestha, S., Topp, K., Thomson, S., Holland, J., McCracken, D., Gibson-Poole, S., Botero Degiovanni, H., McMillan, J., Williams, A., Wall, E. & MacLeod, M.
1/04/22 → 31/03/27
1/04/22 → 31/03/27
Research to assess the socioeconomic and biodiversity impacts of driven grouse moors and to understand the rights of gamekeepers
29/07/19 → 31/03/20
Farmer intentional pathways for net zero carbon: exploring the lock-in effects of forestry and renewablesBarnes, AP., McMillan, J., Sutherland, L-A., Hopkins, J. & Thomson, SG., Jan 2022, In: Land Use Policy. 112, 105861.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Farmer past and intended investment behaviours: evidence from the large scale farmer intentions surveyBarnes, AP., McMillan, J., Botero Degiovanni, HB., Thomson, SG., Hopkins, J. & Sutherland, L-A., 3 Dec 2021, Zenodo, p. 1-4, 4 p.
Research output: Working paper/Preprint › Briefing noteOpen AccessFile34 Downloads (Pure)
Barnes, AP., McMillan, JM., Thomson, SG., Jon, H., Sutherland, L-A. & Mathews, K., 21 Aug 2021, 4 p.
Research output: Working paper/Preprint › Briefing noteOpen AccessFile9 Downloads (Pure)
How often does intended farm management behaviour match ‘actual’ behaviour? Insights for thirteen farm activities: How often does intended farm management behaviour match ‘actual’ behaviour? Insights for thirteen farm activitiesThomson, SG., Barnes, AP., McMillan, J., Hopkins, J., Miller, D., Sutherland, L-A., Barlagne, C. & Wardell-Johnson, D., 20 Mar 2021, (First published) The James Hutton Institute. 8 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Research briefOpen AccessFile3 Downloads (Pure)
The Employment Rights of Gamekeepers: Part 2 of Research to assess socioeconomic and biodiversity impacts of driven grouse moors and to understand the rights of gamekeepersThomson, S., McMorran, R., Glass, J., McMillan, J. & Spencer, M., Oct 2020, (First published) SEFARI. 58 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Commissioned report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile109 Downloads (Pure)