Projects per year
I am an agricultural economist interested in understanding the rural economy. My research areas include farmer intentions and rural businesses in Scotland.
My role includes:
- Analysis and interpretation of statistical data from large scale surveys using software packages including Stata and Microsoft Excel;
- Drafting briefings and academic papers on the results of research; and
- Collaboration with and presentation of findings of research to RESAS, Scottish Government and other stakeholders
I teach modules in Marketing and Environmental Management Systems to Rural Business Management and Environmental Management students.
Case Officer – Energy Consents Unit. Scottish Government, Glasgow. 2015 – 2019
Agricultural Officer – Rural Payments and Inspections Division. Scottish Government, Lerwick. 2012 – 2015
- 2021-2022, RESAS, Scottish Government 'RESAS RD2.4.1 - 2021/22'
- 2021-2022, RESAS, Scottish Government 'RESAS RD2.4.2 - 2021/22'
- 2019-20, RESAS, Scottish Government 'Productivity of Scottish Agriculture'
- 2017-2020, Scottish Enterprise 'Impact of changes in the CAP regime on rural (non-agricultural) businesses
- 2020-2021, RESAS, Scottish Government 'RESAS RD2.4.1 - 2020/21 - Resilience of rural economies to key external drivers'
- 2020-2021, RESAS, Scottish Government 'RESAS RD2.4.2 - 2020/21 - How rural economies can adapt to key external drivers'
- 2019-2020, Scottish Government 'Research to assess the socioeconomic and biodiversity impacts of driven grouse moors and to understand the rights of gamekeepers.'
Master, University of Strathclyde
Award Date: 28 Sep 2018
Bachelor, Scottish Agricultural College & University of Edinburgh
Award Date: 1 Jul 2011
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 4 Finished
Research to assess the socioeconomic and biodiversity impacts of driven grouse moors and to understand the rights of gamekeepers
29/07/19 → 31/03/20
Farmer intentional pathways for net zero carbon: exploring the lock-in effects of forestry and renewablesBarnes, AP., McMillan, J., Sutherland, L-A., Hopkins, J. & Thomson, SG., Jan 2022, In: Land Use Policy. 112, 105861.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Farmer past and intended investment behaviours: evidence from the large scale farmer intentions surveyBarnes, AP., McMillan, J., Botero Degiovanni, HB., Thomson, SG., Hopkins, J. & Sutherland, L-A., 3 Dec 2021, Zenodo, p. 1-4, 4 p.
Research output: Working paper/Preprint › Briefing noteOpen AccessFile28 Downloads (Pure)
Barnes, AP., McMillan, JM., Thomson, SG., Jon, H., Sutherland, L-A. & Mathews, K., 21 Aug 2021, 4 p.
Research output: Working paper/Preprint › Briefing noteOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)
The Employment Rights of Gamekeepers: Part 2 of Research to assess socioeconomic and biodiversity impacts of driven grouse moors and to understand the rights of gamekeepersThomson, S., McMorran, R., Glass, J., McMillan, J. & Spencer, M., Oct 2020, (First published) SEFARI. 58 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Commissioned report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile65 Downloads (Pure)
The socioeconomic and biodiversity impacts of driven grouse moors and the employment rights of gamekeepers - summary reportThomson, S., McMorran, R., Newey, S., Matthews, K. B., Fielding, D. A., Miller, D., Glass, J., Gandossi, G., McMillan, J. & Spencer, M., 4 Nov 2020, The Scottish Government. 47 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Commissioned report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile19 Downloads (Pure)