Projects per year
• Valuation of ecosystem services and natural capital
• Cost-benefit analysis of environmental policy
• Technology adoption in farming
• Food choice
• Sustainable behaviours of farmers and consumers
Klaus Glenk is a Reader in Environmental and Resource Economics and leads the Sustainable Ecosystems Team at Scotland’s Rural College (SRUC). His research focuses on the micro-analysis of consumer and household decisions. He has more than 10 years of experience in the appraisal of environmental policy interventions including climate change mitigation and adaptation in agriculture, biodiversity conservation and water management. Another strand of work includes investigating resource use decisions, technology choice and contract design for incentive-based land management schemes. He has been PI and Co-I on several projects for NERC, EU FP7, and for government bodies and committees (DEFRA, SEPA, SG Rural Affairs and the Environment Portfolio Strategic Research Programme).
- UKRI Global Challenge Research Fund (GCRF) (2019-24) - South Asia Nitrogen Hub, Evaluation of nitrogen options for economic and social benefit
- ClimateXChange (2021) - Understanding the experiences of peatland restoration in Scotland
- IIED (2018/19) - Consultancy for Defra Darwin project ‘Carrots and Sticks: incentives to conserve Hilsa fish in Myanmar’
- NERC (2016-19) – Valuing Nature Phase 2: Understanding ecosystem stocks and tipping points in UK peatlands
- Scottish Government (2016-21) - Improving existing GHG reduction measures (WP 2.3.5); Soil management (WP1.1.4); Integrated and Sustainable Management of Natural Assets (WP1.4)
- The Adaptation Sub-Committee of the Committee on Climate Change, UK (2013-14) - Assessing the type and level of adaptation action required to address climate risks in the ‘vulnerability hotspots’
- NERC - Valuing Nature Network (2011-12) - Valuing the impacts of ecosystem service interactions for policy effectiveness; Assessing and valuing peatland ecosystem services for sustainable management
- Scottish Government (2011-16) - Assessing the value of ecosystem services (WP1.2); Optimising the delivery of multiple benefits from land use (WP3.5); Understanding land managers’ attitudes and behaviour towards the management of environmental assets and responding to climate change (WP3.6)
- EU-FP7 (2011-2015) - Sustainable farm Management Aimed at Reducing Threats to SOILs under climate change (SmartSOIL)
- Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (2010) - Socio-Economic Data on Scottish Soils – a Scoping Study
2010-2012 Environmental Economist, SAC
2007-2010 Environmental Economist, MLURI, Aberdeen
2003-2007 Research Fellow, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Germany
2015 – present: Environmental Valuation – (MSc Ecological Economics, University of Edinburgh, 36 hours over a 10 week term, Course organiser and co-organiser)
2013 – 2015 Applications in Ecological Economics – (MSc Ecological Economics, University of Edinburgh, 12 hours over a 10 week term)
2010 – 2014 Project Appraisal – (MSc Ecological Economics, University of Edinburgh, 16 hours over a 12 week term)
I am currently supervising 3 PhD students; 2 students have been awarded their PhD.
I have supervised 25+ MSc students.
- 6 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
2/12/20 → 31/12/22
1/09/19 → 30/08/23
15/01/19 → 31/03/22
1/09/18 → 31/12/23
Quantifying landscape externalities of renewable energy development: implications of attribute cut-offs in choice experimentsOehlmann, M., Glenk, K., Lloyd-Smith, P. & Meyerhoff, J., Aug 2021, In: Resources and Energy Economics. 65, 101240.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Downloads (Pure)
Glenk, K. & Martin-Ortega, J., 19 Feb 2018, (First published) In: Journal of Environmental Economics and Policy. 7, 4, p. 345 - 362 18 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile16 Downloads (Pure)
Spatial dimensions of stated preference valuation in environmental and resource economics: methods, trends and challengesGlenk, K., Johnston, RJ., Meyerhoff, J. & Sagebiel, J., 1 Feb 2020, In: Environmental and Resource Economics. 75, 2, p. 215-242 28 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Schulz, C., Martin-Ortega, J. & Glenk, K., Nov 2018, In: Global Environmental Change. 53, p. 209-224 16 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Wan, K., Shackley, S., Doherty, R. M., Shi, Z., Zhang, P., Glenk, K., Bo, X., Chang, L., Feng, Z., Hewitt, C. D., Wang, Q., Xu, J. & Xu, J., 20 Aug 2021, In: Journal of Cleaner Production. 312, 127651.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Data from: From welcome culture to welcome limits? Uncovering preference changes over time for sheltering refugees in Germany
Liebe, U. (Creator), Meyerhoff, J. (Creator), Kroesen, M. (Creator), Chorus, C. (Creator) & Glenk, K. (Contributor), Dryad, 1 Jan 2019
Glenk, Klaus (Recipient), 7 Feb 2014
- 3 Hosting an academic visitor