Projects per year
- I graduated from Evora University, Portugal, in 2010, completing my MSc (Integrated Master) in Veterinary Medicine, in the subjects of Epidemiology and Public Health. In May 2011 I started work as a researcher at the Entomological Surveillance Program of Culicoides midges, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Lisbon. Besides my work in the epidemiology of Culicoides and bluetongue disease, in the same period, I also studied the epidemiology of ticks from Ornithodoros erraticus complex and African swine fever, bovine and sheep brucellosis and bovine and wild tuberculosis.
- Later, in May 2015, I joined the Epidemiology Research Unit, SRUC, as a quantitative veterinary epidemiologist. I worked for the LymeMAP project, a project aiming to contribute for a better understanding of Lyme disease epidemiology and risk communication.
- In October 2017 I started my PhD entitled “Predicting Lyme Disease risk: Improving the knowledge of Ixodes ricinus and Borrelia burgdorferi dynamics in Scotland through structured data collection and citizen science” with the University of Edinburgh and SRUC.
- My current research interests are the application of statistical methods to improve the knowledge of the distribution of Ixodes ricinus ticks and the application of citizen science to improve the knowledge on tick encounter rates and how they vary with different geographical areas, habitats and times of year.
- My current research areas include: Ticks and tick borne diseases, specifically Ixodes ricinus and Lyme disease; modelling tick distribution (spatial and temporal trends); study of tick infection with Borrelia burgdorferi; application and analysis of citizen science data.
Master, University of Evora
1 Sep 2004 → 17 Dec 2010
- RA0421 Public health. Hygiene. Preventive Medicine
- Q Science (General)
- SF Animal culture
Ixodes Medicine & Life Sciences
Ticks Medicine & Life Sciences
Lyme Disease Medicine & Life Sciences
Epidemiology Medicine & Life Sciences
Ceratopogonidae Medicine & Life Sciences
Borrelia burgdorferi Medicine & Life Sciences
Veterinary Medicine Medicine & Life Sciences
Uncertainty Medicine & Life Sciences
1/12/17 → 31/03/19