Projects per year
A biostatistician with interests in the application of statistics and maths within biological sciences.
Specific research interests in
* measuring antimicrobial resistance;
* measuring antimicrobial usage;
* the eradication of BVD;
* provision of online quantitative tools in epidemiology
2020 - Present Honorary Researcher for NHS Highland
Ongoing: Private tutor in Advanced Higher or Higher Maths.
2015-2016 Part-time Research Fellow at Edinburgh University researching the epidemiology of cardio-vascular risk calculators.
2006-2008 Research scientist (ecological modelling) in biodiversity and production sustainability, Scottish Crop Research Institute. Lecturer on the Open University’s Mathematical Modelling summer school.
1999-2006 Research scientist (bio-mathematician) in Epidemiology Research Unit, Scottish Agricultural College. Research interests: mathematical modelling disease within decision support for agriculture, describing and measuring antibiotic resistance quantitatively.
2004 - 2009 Mathematical modelling lecturer on the Open University Summer School “Mathematical Models and Methods”
1995-1999 Awarded NERC PhD on study of the effects of herbicide spray drift on native flora, studied at University of Liverpool with Rob Marrs and Martin Mortimer. The thesis was entitled “The effect of herbicide on a semi-natural community and monocultures of different densities”. The areas of work covered included intraspecific plant competition and its interaction with plant responses to herbicide.
1994 European Pollen Database on a European Union funded research project with Prof. B. Huntley, Palaeoecology Unit, University of Durham. Responsibility for the database, liaise with other teams with data and help research Holocene vegetation dynamics and distributions using database.
1993 Yukon Field Assistant for Palaeogeography Scientist, University of Alaska. Duties involved plant identification, taking care of and calibrating equipment, surveying sites and taking surface samples from lakes for pollen analysis.
- 2021: SEFARI Response Fund to run workshops on measuring AMUsage in Scotland’s livestock (£8k)
- 2010-present: Statistical consultancy and teaching to NHS Highland (£6k p.a.)
- 2021 Collaboration with University of Highlands and Islands on diabetes patients and ambulance travel times in Scotland and Northern Ireland (<£10k)
- 2020: Collaboration with UHI on psychological measures in NHS Highland staff during the Covid pandemic of 2020+ (<£5k)
- 2019-2021 Sustrans Design study into rural connectivity (£70k)
- 2018-2019 Sustrans Paths for All, Feasibility study into rural connectivity (£10k)
- University Innovation Fund 2016/17: Creation of an online epidemiological resource centre (£5k)
- 2016-17 REF (research excellence framework) funding 2016/17: Maximising the predictive power of different measures of antimicrobial resistance for clinical outcomes using clinical mastitis in dairy cattle as an exemplar . (£100k)
- 2014-2016 Knowledge Transfer Funding: Maths in the real world – presentations to Scottish Secondary Schools (£10k)
- 2015/16 University Innovation Fund: Creation and provision of a 2 day course on epidemiological concepts for vets in practice (£5k)
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
A modelling framework for the prediction of herd-level probability of infection from longitudinal dataMadouasse, A., Mercat, M., van Roon, A. M., Graham, D. A., Guelbenzu-Gonzalo, M., Santman-Berends, I., van Schaik, G., Nielen, M., Frossling, J., Agren, E., Humphry, RW., Eze, JI., Gunn, GJ., Henry, MK., Gethmann, J., More, S. J., Toft, N. & Fourichon, C., 1 Sep 2021, (First published) bioRxiv, 31 p. (ver. 6 peer-reviewed and recommended by PCI Animal Science).
Research output: Working paper/Preprint › PreprintOpen AccessFile2 Downloads (Pure)
Humphry, RW., Henry, MK., Reeves, A., Innocent, G. T., Correia-Gomes, C., Smith, R., Mason, CS., Gunn, GJ. & Tongue, S., Jul 2021, In: The Veterinary Record. 189, 1, p. 1-11 11 p., e28.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile34 Downloads (Pure)
Nursing stages of striped catfish (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus) in Vietnam: Pathogens, diseases and husbandry practicesHoa, T. T. T., Boerlage, A. S., Duyen, T. T. M., Thy, D. T. M., Hang, N. T. T., Humphry, R. W. & Phuong, N. T., 25 Feb 2021, In: Aquaculture. 533, 736114.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Holden, NH., Humphry, RW., Avery, L., Gunn, GJ., Foster, G., Innocent, G., Scott, K., Freitag, T., Pagaling, E., Watson, E. & Silva, N., 30 Oct 2020
Research output: Other contributionOpen Access
Bishop, HKB., Henry, MK., Humphry, RW. & Pearce, MP., 2020, 212 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief › Commissioned report