Projects per year
Joined SAC consulting in June 2020 as Senior Project Manager for the Scottish Farm Business Survey. Commissioned annually by the Scottish Government, it provides in-depth economic and environmental analysis of 420 farms in Scotland for national farm statistics essential for informing future rural policy.
The role requires engagement with Scottish Government managing change in the survey data gathering to fit with ongoing policy changes. Nationwide staff management during COVID pandemic setting targets and monitoring progress, overseeing technical project management and data handling, maintenance of data quality standards and optimising outputs for Scottish Government and survey co-operators.
Experienced in research design and interpretation, quantitative survey methodology, financial management of farming business, research and assessment of diversification opportunities and their delivery. Started Agritourism development on farm with farm tours, self-catering accommodation and events. Understands the changing rural policy environment within which rural businesses will operate in 2021 and beyond.
- Organic food and farming methods, standards, licensing and marketplace
- Scenario planning for business growth, diversification on farm, and incorporation of new products and enterprises, capital allocation and investment assessment
- Agritourism business development
- Red meat and poultry slaughter, butchery, waste management, HACCP principles and practice
- Networked in independent local food system, including logistical and infrastructural challenges
- Food premises design, Environmental Health, Food Standards Scotland requirements, and associated inspections standards and legislation
- Poultry (meat and eggs) production with associated legislation
Farm diversifications delivered within JAC Grierson Ltd 2006-2020
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/04/22 → 31/03/27
20/05/23 → 11/08/23
Barnes, AP., Bevan, KR., Moxey, A. P., Grierson, SG. & Toma, L., May 2023, In: Agricultural Systems. 208, 8 p., 103664.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile13 Downloads (Pure)
Greenhouse gas emissions from Scottish farming: an exploratory analysis of the Scottish Farm Business Survey and AgrecalcBarnes, AP., Bevan, KR., Moxey, A. P., Grierson, SG. & Toma, L., May 2022, Scotland’s Rural College 2022 on behalf of ClimateXChange. 48 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief/Technical Brief › Commissioned report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile56 Downloads (Pure)