Projects per year
Steven has nearly 30 years experience in applied agricultural policy analysis and rural development research. He has comprehensive knowledge of contemporary agriculture systems and is considered an expert on aspects relating to agricultural policy. He is currently focused on providing evidence and policy insights for officials and farmer led groups as they look to evolve Scottish agricultural support.
Steven currently is joint coordinator of the Rural Industries work package of Theme 2: Productive and Sustainable Land Management and Rural Economies of the Scottish Government’s 2016-2021 Strategic Research Programme and also acts as the SEFARI Gateway knowledge exchange lead for Business and Communities where he is responsible for liaising with industry stakeholders and disseminating key research findings relating to farm businesses and communities.
Steven’s research has focused on how COVID19 and Brexit will impact on Scottish agriculture and wider rural economy – and he is also involved in assessing future support options in Wales. Beyond the farm-gate Steven’s research into non land-based rural businesses has been providing new insights in to the wider rural economy, focusing on linkages to the farming sectors, input and output markets, family labour and perceptions around Brexit. Steven also led the second phase of research for the Scottish Government on the Socio-Economic and Biodiversity impacts of Driven Grouse that brought new insights on the employment rights of gamekeepers and socio-economic impacts of alternative moorland uses.
- Work Package 2.4 Rural Industries co-ordinator and Research Deliverable 2.4.2 How Rural Economies can Adapt to Key External Drivers co-ordinator: The Scottish Government's Rural and Environment Science and Analytical Services Division Research Programme 2016-2021. (RESAS on-going, £350k p.a.)
- Scottish Environment, Food & Agricultural Research Institutes (SEFARI) Knowledge Exchange Lead for Communities. The Scottish Government's Rural and Environment Science and Analytical Services Division (RESAS) Research Programme 2016-2021. (RESAS ongoing £35k p.a.)
- Economic analysis of the impact of the Welsh Government’s proposed Sustainable Farming Scheme (Welsh Government - ongoing, £38k)
- Livestock's role in food system resilience in remote, upland regions Global Food Security’s ‘Resilience of the UK Food System Programme’, with support from BBSRC, ESRC, NERC and Scottish Government, on-going, £375k).
- Development of a specification for prototype data dashboards based on the statutory cattle data held by Livestock Information Ltd. (AHDB - Ongoing, £48k)
- The Transition to Future (Conditional) Agricultural Support – NFU Scotland’s Approach (NFUS 2021, £2k)
- A series of research and advisory notes commissioned by the Scottish Government in support of the Suckler Beef Climate Group. (RESAS, 2020-2021, £100k)
- Structure and Efficiency of the Scottish Beef Herd - Cattle Tracing System Insights (2020)
- Structure and Support of the Scottish Beef Sector 2019 – impact of CAP 2015 reforms (2020)
- Environmental Conditionality on Direct Payments to Land Managers (2020)
- Estimated Suckler Beef Climate Scheme effect within the National GHG ‘Smart’ Inventory (2020)
- Estimated Suckler Beef Climate Scheme implications for cattle numbers (2020)
- Suckler Beef Climate Change Group Farm Carbon Case Studies (2020)
- Suckler Beef Climate Change: Advisory support and accreditation (2020)
- Suckler Beef Climate Scheme: Draft metrics (2020)
- Suckler Beef Climate Scheme: Broader Issues (2020)
- Implementation issues for the Suckler Beef Climate Group Scheme (2020)
- The socioeconomic and biodiversity impacts of driven grouse moors and the employment rights of gamekeepers. (The Scottish Government: 2019-2020, £85k)
- An Assessment of the Opportunities to Retain and Increase Sheep and Lamb Processing in Scotland. (Scottish Government, 2019, £35k)
- Post Brexit Implications for Agriculture and Associated Land Use in the Highlands and Islands. (Highlands and Islands Agricultural Support Group, 2018, £7k)
- Brexit - Enhanced policy advice (Scottish Government, 2018/19 £128k)
- Brexit - Rural supply chains (Scottish Government, 2018/19 £80k)
- Farm Workers in Scottish Agriculture: Case Studies in the International Seasonal Migrant Labour Market. (Scottish Government, 2017-18, £69k)
- Meeting the Challenge of Wild Deer Research to Support Delivery of Sustainable Deer Management in Scotland. (Scottish Government RESAS and SNH, 2016-17, £70k)
- Rural Scotland in Focus 2016. (SRUC, 2016, £60K)
- The impact of diversity of ownership scale on social, economic and environmental outcomes: (Scottish Government RESAS, 2015-16, £60k)
- Assessing the Contribution of the Dairy Sector to Economic Growth and Food Security in Malawi. (DFID/ESRC 2012-2015, £428k)
- Agricultural Holdings Evidence Review (Scottish Government RESAS 2014, £30k)
- Secretariat and consultant to Brian Pack’s Regulatory Review of Scottish Agriculture. (Scottish Government RESAS, 2012-14, £75k)
Bachelor, University of Glasgow
1988 → 1992
Award Date: 22 Jun 1992
- 6 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Research to assess the socioeconomic and biodiversity impacts of driven grouse moors and to understand the rights of gamekeepers
29/07/19 → 31/03/20
Moxey, A. P., McCracken, DI. & Thomson, S., 21 Jan 2021, Scotland's Rural College (SRUC). 23 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief › Commissioned report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile56 Downloads (Pure)
Thomson, SG., Jun 2021
Research output: Non-textual form › Digital or Visual ProductsOpen Access
Thomson, SG., Spencer, M., Reeves, A. & Moxey, A. P., 18 Jan 2021, (First published) The Scottish Government. 62 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief › Commissioned report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Downloads (Pure)
Thomson, SG. & Moxey, A. P., 18 Jan 2021, (First published) The Scottish Government. 33 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief › Commissioned report › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Thomson, SG. & Moxey, A. P., 18 Jan 2021, The Scottish Government. 5 p.
Research output: Book/Report/Policy Brief › Commissioned reportOpen AccessFile
Steven Thomson (Speaker)25 Jun 2021
Activity: Talk, evidence or presentation types › Invited talkFile
Steven Thomson (Speaker) & Andrew P Moxey (Speaker)26 Nov 2020
Activity: Talk, evidence or presentation types › Evidence to committeesFile
Steven Thomson (Member)Jun 2020 → …
Activity: Membership types › Membership of advisory group