Projects per year
- Assessment of welfare in equines and farm animals.
- Prenatal antecedents of behaviour, health and welfare in farm animals and equines.
- Human behaviour and its impact upon animal welfare
- MSc Applied Animal Behaviour and Animal Welfare, University of Edinburgh/ SRUC- 2016 onwards
- MSc Equine Science (Equine Behaviour, Welfare & Ethics course) University of Edinburgh- 2017 onwards
- BSc Equine Science and Management (Yr 3 & Yr 4 Equine behaviour, welfare and ethics modules), SRUC -2021 onwards
Welfare of horses kept in alternative management systems, The Horse Trust (2022 - 23)
Behavioural indicators of welfare in racehorses, HKJC (2021 - 22)
Traveller & Gypsy horse welfare, The Horse Trust (2017 -)
- Member of expert panel on OIE standards on Working Equine Welfare (2021)
- Consultant on World Horse Welfare project looking at horse owners educational needs and priorities (2021)
- External Examiner for Hartpury University Equine programmes (2022 onwards)
Co-supervisor on two PhD projects (2017- 2021)
- Horse Welfare within Traveller/ Gypsy communities; an ethnic group often under-represented in horse welfare research
- Improving the survival of lambs from larger litters
Successfully supervised 26 MSc dissertation projects (2015-2021)
PhD, The effect of selection for lean tissue growth on muscle fibre characteristics in lambs, and the implications for welfare, University of Edinburgh
2007 → 2012
Master, MSc Applied Animal Behaviour and Welfare, University of Edinburgh
2006 → 2007
Bachelor, BSc (Hons) Equine Science (Equitation Science) , University of Limerick
1995 → 1999
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 2 Finished
Horse Welfare within Traveller/Gypsy communities: an ethnic group often under-represented in horse welfare research
1/10/17 → 30/06/22
- 4 Article
The Welfare of Traveller and Gypsy Owned Horses in the UK and IrelandRowland, MR., Hudson, N., Connor, M., Dwyer, CM. & Coombs, TM., 13 Sept 2022, (First published) In: Animals. 12, 18, 2402.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile56 Downloads (Pure)
Welfare assessment and husbandry practices of working horses in FijiFröhlich, N., Sells, P. D., Sommerville, R., Bolwell, C. F., Cantley, C., Martin, J. E., Gordon, S. J. G. & Coombs, T., 28 Feb 2020, (First published) In: Animals. 10, 3, 392.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
A study of traveller horse owners' attitudes to horse care and welfare using an equine body condition scoring systemRowland, M., Coombs, T. & Connor, M., 12 Apr 2019, In: Animals. 9, 4, 162.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile50 Downloads (Pure)
Administration of a NSAID (meloxicam) affects lying behaviour after caesarean section in beef cowsBarrier, AC., Coombs, TM., Dwyer, CM., Haskell, MJ. & Goby, L., 2014, (First published) In: Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 155, p. 28 - 33 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review