Projects per year
- Assessment of welfare in equines and farm animals.
- Prenatal antecedents of behaviour, health and welfare in farm animals and equines.
- Human behaviour and its impact upon animal welfare
- MSc Applied Animal Behaviour and Animal Welfare, University of Edinburgh/ SRUC- 2016 onwards
- MSc Equine Science (Equine Behaviour, Welfare & Ethics course) University of Edinburgh- 2017 onwards
- BSc Equine Science and Management (Yr 3 & Yr 4 Equine behaviour, welfare and ethics modules), SRUC -2021 onwards
Welfare of horses kept in alternative management systems, The Horse Trust (2022 - 23)
Behavioural indicators of welfare in racehorses, HKJC (2021 - 22)
Traveller & Gypsy horse welfare, The Horse Trust (2017 -)
- Member of expert panel on OIE standards on Working Equine Welfare (2021)
- Consultant on World Horse Welfare project looking at horse owners educational needs and priorities (2021)
- External Examiner for Hartpury University Equine programmes (2022 onwards)
Co-supervisor on two PhD projects (2017- 2021)
- Horse Welfare within Traveller/ Gypsy communities; an ethnic group often under-represented in horse welfare research
- Improving the survival of lambs from larger litters
Successfully supervised 26 MSc dissertation projects (2015-2021)
PhD, University of Edinburgh
2007 → 2012
Master, University of Edinburgh
2006 → 2007
Bachelor, University of Limerick
1995 → 1999
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Horse Welfare within Traveller/Gypsy communities: an ethnic group often under-represented in horse welfare research
1/10/17 → 30/06/22
- 4 Article
Rowland, MR., Hudson, N., Connor, M., Dwyer, CM. & Coombs, TM., 13 Sep 2022, (First published) In: Animals. 12, 18, 2402.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)
Fröhlich, N., Sells, P. D., Sommerville, R., Bolwell, C. F., Cantley, C., Martin, J. E., Gordon, S. J. G. & Coombs, T., 28 Feb 2020, (First published) In: Animals. 10, 3, 392.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
A study of traveller horse owners' attitudes to horse care and welfare using an equine body condition scoring systemRowland, M., Coombs, T. & Connor, M., 12 Apr 2019, In: Animals. 9, 4, 162.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile39 Downloads (Pure)
Barrier, AC., Coombs, TM., Dwyer, CM., Haskell, MJ. & Goby, L., 2014, (First published) In: Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 155, p. 28 - 33 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review