I am interested in collaborative and interdisciplinary research.
2021 GTCS Professional Recognition in Learning for Sustainability, British Council, UK
2019 Mental Health First Aider, SRUC, Scotland, UK
2018 Lantra Awards Instructor, Scotland, UK
2015 Associate Fellow of Higher Education Academy, UK
2014 Nuffield Research Ambassador, STEM Learning, Scotland, UK
2010 PhD in Chemical, Process and Environmental Engineering, University of Oviedo, Spain
2008 PGCAP Postgraduate Certificate in Education, University of Oviedo, Spain
2007 MEng in Process and Environmental Engineering, University of Oviedo
2004 Accreditation in Studies of Environmental Impact. Castilla y Leon Government, Spain
2004 BSc (Hons) in Environmental Sciences, University of Leon, Spain
2021-Present Lecturer at Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, SRUC Barony Campus, Dumfries, Scotland, UK.
2020-2021 Lecturer at Department of Agriculture and Business Management, SRUC South and West Faculty, Ayr, Scotland, UK.
2015-2019 Lecturer at Department of Engineering, Science and Technology, SRUC Riverside Campus, Ayr, Scotland, UK.
2015 Lecturer at Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Thronton Science Park, University of Chester, UK.
2012-2014 Research Fellow/Associate at Centre for Innovation in Carbon Capture and Storage (CICCS), Institute of Mechanical, Process and Energy Engineering, School of Engineering and Physical Sciences, Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.
2013 Public Engagement Fellow at Beltane Network/Beacons, Centre for Academic Enhancement, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK.
2011-2012 Research Fellow at Centre for Innovation in Carbon Capture and Storage (CICCS), Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.
2007-2010 PhD Fellow at Group of Microwaves and Carbons applied to Technology (MCAT), Department of Coal, Energy and Environment, National Institute of Carbon, Superior Council of Scientific Investigations, Oviedo, Spain.
2010 Visiting PhD Fellow at Centre for Innovation in Carbon Capture and Storage (CICCS), Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.
2009 Visiting PhD Fellow at Department of Metallurgical Engineering, Kunming University of Science and Technology, Kunming, China.
2008 Visiting PhD Fellow at Deparment of Mechanical Engineering, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, US.
2005-2006 Research Assistant at Deparment of Coal, Energy and Environment, National Institute of Carbon, Superior Council of Scientific Investigations, Oviedo, Spain.
2004-2005 Assistant Sommerlier at La Cava de Santa Clara Wine Cellar, Leon, Spain.
1999-2003 Social Survey Interviewer at Agora Market Research, S.L., Leon, Spain.
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) in STEM. British Science Association. UK Parliament. 2020-2021.
- Pedagogic project. QAA Enhancement Themes: The impact of e-assessment on learning and teaching. 2017-2018.
- Public Engagement Exhibition: Where are my carbon atoms? Edinburgh Science Festival 2014.
- Public Engagement Fellowship from Beltane Public Engagement Network, 2013.
- ETP Knowledge Exchange Network: Microwave plasma conversion of CO2 waste streams into fuels. 2014.
- RSC Energy Sector Conference: Funding proposal. 2014.
- EPSRC Project: Solar fuels via engineering innovation. 2013-2014.
- ACCIONAL Ltd.: Techno-economic assessment of a CO2 photoreduction unit in a thermosolar power plant. 2012.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship from Spanish Government Research Funding Body (Ref: TQ-2010-0777). 2012-2013.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship from Asturias Regional Government Clarin Programme (Ref: POST 10-61). 2011.
- MATGAS 2000 A.I.E.: Syngas production from CH4 and CO2 rich gases using microwave heating and carbon based catalysts. 2007-2008.
- PhD Fellowship from Spanish National Research Council, CSIC (Ref: I3P-BDP 2006). 2007-2010.
I have teaching experience in the following areas:
Fluid mechanics; Chemical separation processes; Cell biology; Microorganisms; Biochemistry; Quality, health and safety in sciences industries; Farm power; Farm-scale renewable energy; Farm manure, waste and the environment; Pollution and waste management; Transport towards a sustainable future; Green technology Graded units; Agriculture Science Graded unit; Renewable energy systems: microgeneration; Waste reduction and recycling; Climate change and the global environment; Land-based environmental issues; Bioenergy production technology; Bioproducts: technologies and supply chains; Renewables technologies; Carbon management; Innovations in low carbon technology; Agriculture, science and society; Integrated catchment management; Sustainable environmental management; Poultry housing and environment; Topical issues; Animals and climate change; Advanced research methods; Wildlife and agricultural interactions; Epidemiology; Animal breeding and genetics; and Animals at the centre of global issues.
My teaching contribution has been in the following Programmes of Study:
HNC Bioscience; HNC/HND Agriculture; HNC Countryside and Environmental Management; HND Agricultural Science; HND Applied Bioscience; HND Green Technology; HND Environmental Management and Sustainability; BSc/BSc(Hons) Agriculture; BSc/BSc(Hons) Agricultural Bioscience; BSc/BSc(Hons) Applied Animal Science; BSc/BSc(Hons) Environmental Resource Management; BSc/BSc(Hons) Renewable and Environmental Technology; BSc(Hons) Rural Business Management; BEng Chemical Engineering; MSc/PgDip Applied Poultry Science
I have experience supervising PhD, MSc, BSc(Hons)and Nuffield student research projects on the following topics:
- Rating energy efficiency in poultry buildings (Sep 2020-May 2021).
- Local authorities approach to zero waste is sustainable? (Sep 2019-Dec 2019).
- Will the introduction of a Zero Waste Economy and Waste Hierarchy prove financially and environmentally viable to sporting facilities and venues? (Sep 2019- Dec 2019).
- An investigation into flood risk potential and mitigation strategies in Carsphairn, Scotland. (Sep 2019 - Dec 2019).
- An investigation into the deorisation process of poultry manure using acidic/basic conditions. (Sep 2016 - Jul 2017).
- Historic railways: Sustainable transport networks. (Nov 2017 - Apr 2018).
- Do we have to? A techno-economic analysis on the recycling of crystalline silicon panels. (Sep 2016 - Jul 2017).
- Can vegetation surveys be used to assess the health of rehabilitated lowland raised bogs in Scotland? (Sep 2016 - Jul 2017).
- Investigation of manure management systems. (Nov 2015 - Jul 2016).
- Modifying TiO2 photocatalysts to improve CO2 reduction experiments. (Jul 2014- Aug 2014).
- CO2 desorption via microwave heating for post-combustion carbon capture. (Oct 2012 - Dec 2014).
- Investigation of Methods and Metrics for Improved Benchmarking of Photocatalytic Carbon Dioxide Reduction. (Oct 2012 - Dec 2014).
- SRUCSA Awards 2018 for staff member of the year. SRUC, Ayr campus, UK.
- British Science Festival Bursary Winner 2012. University of Nottingham. Nottingham, UK.
- Research Showcase Finalist 2012. University of Nottingham. Nottingham, UK.
- Best Thesis Award 2012. University of Oviedo. Oviedo, Spain.
- AZSA II Award of Young Researchers and Technologists 2011. Asturiana de Zinc, S.A. Oviedo, Spain.
- V Award of Young Researchers within the Spanish Carbon Group 2011. Spanish Carbon Group. Badajoz, Spain
- IV Award of Environment 2007. Carrefour Group, S.A. Córdoba, Spain.
Professional Committees and Activities
- Chair of Glasgow and West of Scotland Local Section. Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC). Jun 2021-Present.
- SRUC Animal Ethics Committee. April 2021-Present.
- Associate Editor of Environmental Toxicology and Health in All Life Journal, Taylor & Francis. December 2019-Present.
- SRUC British Sign Language Action Plan Working Group. June 2021-Dec 2021.
- Easter Bush Race Equality Working Group. University of Edinburgh. October 2020-June 2021.
- SRUC Social Science Ethics Committee. April 2018 – 2019.
- SRUC International Committee. May 2018 – 2019.
- Dalton Representative, Glasgow and West of Scotland RSC Local Section. Jan 2018 – 2021.
- SRUC Equality and Diversity Team. Sep 2017 – May 2018.
- Nuffield Research Placement Partner. Jul-Aug. 2014.
- ATHENA SWAN Self-Assessment. Heriot-Watt University. May 2014 – Nov 2014.
- UKRSA Scotland and Northern Ireland Regional Research Staff representative (SNIRSA). May 2014 – Dec 2014.
- Research Staff Working Group Representative. Heriot-Watt University. Mar – Nov 2014.
- Public Engagement Fellow. Beltane Public Engagement Network. Jul. 2013 – Nov. 2014
- Early Career Researcher Representative. Heriot-Watt University. May 2013 – Nov 2014.
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Ambassador. 2013-2019.
- Spanish Carbon Group (GEC). Nov 2005 – Dec 2010.
- Environmental Sciences Student Association in Leon/Asturias, Spain. 2014-15.
PhD, Microwave energy processing of waste materials, University of Oviedo
1 Jan 2007 → 31 May 2010
Award Date: 31 May 2010
PGCert , Chemical Education, University of Oviedo
1 Sept 2007 → 30 Jun 2008
Award Date: 30 Jun 2008
Master, Process and Environmental Engineering, University of Oviedo
1 Nov 2005 → 31 Jul 2007
Award Date: 31 Jul 2007
Bachelor, Environmental Sciences, University of Leon
1 Sept 1999 → 30 Sept 2004
Award Date: 30 Sept 2004
- 1 Similar Profiles